Keeping Children Safe
If any member of the community is concerned about a child please telephone Hampshire Children's Services on 0300 555 1384.
Why Your Child is Safe At St Johns Primary School
Your child’s safety is of paramount importance to our school and we have clear and consistent policies and procedures in place to ensure that your child is safe. We meet all of the statutory requirements and regularly monitor our safeguarding provision.
We have a lead member of staff responsible for Child Protection and Safeguarding known as the Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL) who is the Head Teacher and deputy DSLs (our Deputy Headteacher, SENDco and Behaviour Support worker) who meet regularly alongside our Emotional Literacy Support Assistants (ELSAs) to discuss safeguarding and welfare issues.
One of our governors is designated the Lead Governor for Safeguarding and they also meet with the DSL to monitor the impact of what we have in place; also ensuring we adhere to all legislation.
Below is an overview of the areas of school life which ensure the safety of our children:
- Safe recruitment of staff – including training of interview panel, DBS disclosures and all DBS checks.
- Clear and regularly reviewed policies – Safeguarding, Child Protection, Behaviour, Health and Safety and many other related policies.
- Staff training - All of our staff are trained in safeguarding procedures which is regularly reviewed.
- Site safety – our school has security doors on the main entrance. All visitors report to the main office where they must sign in to gain access to the building. Outside doors are closed during lesson time and are only opened by members of staff with an entry fob. We have a secure fenced school boundary which is regularly inspected and improved where necessary. Entrance points to the grounds are monitored by our Senior Leaders at the start and end of the school day and are locked when not monitored.
- We hold regular discussions with the children regarding what is in place at our school to keep them safe and to improve awareness of their personal safety, including what to do and who to speak to if they have any worries or concerns.
- Online safety – Our safeguarding policy details how we manage online safety. We share information with parents/carers on online safety.
- We have very high standards of behaviour and our behaviour across the school is good. We have a behaviour policy which explains the rewards and sanctions which enables children to be clear about their responsibilities with regard to behaviour. We work in partnership with our parents/carers if there are any concerns.
- We don’t tolerate bullying and we act swiftly using our anti- bullying policy if there are any incidents of bullying behaviour.
- Educational visits are always risk assessed. We ensure the ratio of adults to children meets or exceeds requirements so that your children can enjoy their school visits.
- We have several members of staff who are fully trained First Aiders. This includes paediatric first aiders for our Year R children. Children are sent to the medical room if they are hurt or feeling poorly. As well as medical attention a kind word and tlc are also applied!
- We are an inclusive school. Our SENDco Mrs Chambers' is contactable via firstname.lastname@example.org, she works closely with our children and their families to support any additional needs effectively.
- Health and Safety is rigorous at all times. Our governors meet termly and monitor and discuss all aspects of H&S, including termly inspections. Our Site Manager and other members of staff ensure the site is safe and any defects are actioned quickly.
- We teach the children many aspects of their personal safety through our curriculum. Discussions on safety measures and how they can keep themselves safe take place regularly.
- We provide regular reports to our governors. This ensures all aspects of safety provision are up to date.
- We have a strong belief in partnership working with our families. Our open door policy means that effective communication can take place.
- We work with Hampshire Local Authority to provide any additional support to our families and children if and when it is needed.
For more information on Safeguarding, follow the link below to our safeguarding page with our Policys.